Advertisement

Creative Uses for Satellite Dish?

topic posted Tue, March 1, 2005 - 10:11 PM by  Mmmonte
Share/Save/Bookmark
What alternative and creative uses have you seen for old satellite dishes. I moved into a place that had one, and I didn't need it, but I did need a place for my bird to shit.
The Dish is PERFECT! See picture I uploaded to this tribe's photo page.
What ideas do you have?
posted by:
Mmmonte
Sacramento
Advertisement
  • Re: Creative Uses for Satellite Dish?

Wed, March 2, 2005 - 6:09 PM
    How about using the reflector as part of a parabolic microphone..
    mount a mic at the focus and hook it to a tape recorder ..
    listen in on people in the park ....

Wed, March 2, 2005 - 8:05 PM
      Great Idea! I will see if I can score another dish somewhere. I want to use it from my front lawn. I will point it at people on the sidewalk or in other houses. It would help me meet new people, and provide a character test at the same time. How they respond to a big ugly satellite dish microphone recording their conversations would tell me as much about them as what I overhear them saying.

Fri, August 4, 2006 - 8:59 PM
        Hi folks:

Admittedly, I will not likely be around on this thread much, but I just have to show you what I use dishes for. I'm not quite up on this Tribe thing, but I think you can click on my profile and see my tricycle. The front wheel is made of two 8 foot dishes -- the name Bird View comes to mind, but I'm not sure. The rear wheels are 6 footers -- True Focus, I think. The sport is called Kinetic Sculpture Racing.

I also have a pair of Bird Views rigged like a flying saucer as a Halloween decoration.

Build something with those fabulous things -- don't just let birds poop on them! ;-)

Most cordially,
        Elliot

Sun, August 27, 2006 - 10:46 AM
          The DEFCON Wifi Shootout is a contest held at DEFCON, which, in turn is a hacker convention on the west coast. The objective of the contest is to get a Wifi signal to work from the greatest distance. Either this year or last, can't remember which, the winner used two large diameter dishes, and they hit a distance of over 100 miles (but I don't remember how much over).

Recent topics in "Big Ugly Dish Satellite"

Topic Author Replies Last Post
Oh no it rains! Frau Schmickler 14 November 21, 2012
Satellite dish newmansclone 2 April 6, 2010
Free to air?? Unsubscribed 11 September 12, 2007
possible new tourist attraction at Fort Irwin: Ms. Gnostic ... 0 January 27, 2005
What equipment do you have?? Unsubscribed 0 November 29, 2004